The Vedic Spring season of Vasanta marks a moment of balance when day and night, and light and dark are equal. As nature creates this balance of bloom outside, we can also take a moment of pause to bring balance within our body, mind, and spirit with hope and joy in our hearts.
During Spring, Ayurveda, the ancient medicine system of India, suggests Tisanes for aligning our body and mind to seasonal changes and balancing our three doshas.
Today marks the first day of Spring, and we find ourselves facing a global health crisis. While indoors, it's important to remember to take preventive measures to stay healthy, and mindful in all length of your days.
Kids Friendly! Star Anise Grapefruit Granita-Dessert
Star Anise is one of those curative and therapeutic spice with many benefits. The oil produced by Star Anise contains thymol, terpineol, and anethole, which is used for treating cough and flu. Star Anise also helps improve digestion, alleviate cramps, and reduce nausea. Consuming Star Anise tisane after meals help treat digestive ailments, such as bloating, flatulence, indigestion, and constipation.
Star Anise Tisane- Caffeine-Free
Star Anise Tisane
Caffeine-free-Tisane! This lovely tisane can easily be made into a refreshing fancy Italian dessert of Granita.
Yield: 2-4 servings
5 whole Nirmala's Kitchen Star Anise
8 cups of water
2-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Maple Syrup or Honey to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the water with ginger, star anise, lemon juice, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from and let cool to room temperature, about one hour.
3. Strain tonic through a fine sieve and discard ginger.
4. Sweetened to taste. This tisane can be savored hot or cold.
Kids Friendly Star Anise Grapefruit Granita-Dessert
Kids home from school!
Try this super simple and fun recipe to keep your kids happy, and eating what's good, and to build a healthy immune system for all length of their days.
Yield: 2-4 servings
Add 2 cups of pink or white grapefruit juice to the full recipe above.
Lemon zest, fresh fruits, and mint to garnish
1. Using a full batch of Star-Anise -Strain the tisane through a fine sieve and discard ginger.
2. Stir in the grapefruit juice. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
3. Freeze in a shallow pan, stirring every 30 minutes with a fork, until firm, about 3-4 hours.
4. Spoon into dessert bowls or glasses with straw and serve immediately. It can be topped with lemon zest, mint, coconut, or your favorite spring fruits.